UGA Relay for Life

News

image

On Friday night, a sea of purple will take over Ramsey as members of the Athen’s Community fight against cancer.  Relay for Life is a national organization that benefits the American Cancer society. The University of Georgia branch of the organization will hold their largest event of the year this Friday. While the rainy weather has changed the logistics of the event, it hasn’t impacted the amount of money they have been able to raise. According to their website, the group has raised over $167,000 in this year alone and it’s not over yet.

With cancer rates higher than ever, it’s nearly impossible to come across anyone who doesn’t know at least one person with caner. Most of the participants of Relay for Life walk to honor loved ones who are still battling and those who have passed. This is true for the captain of the Alpha Chi Omega team, Shahla Delawalla.

“As I’m involved with Relay, every year it seems like the number of people I walk for increases…This year I’m relaying for my mom as usual, she’s a survivor of cancer going on seven years now. Also for an uncle I just lost,” said Shahla.

Michael Alvarez is also walking for others, but that wasn’t always the case. Michael  (pictured above) was diagnosed with cancer when he was just three years old.

“It’s always going to define me,” he reflected.

Now proudly in remission, he walks for his girlfriend and numerous friends he met on his own journey with cancer.

“It’s time for me to fight for someone else.”

UGA’s Relay for Life will take place on April 17th from 7:00pm to 2:00am at Ramsey. Aside from walking, there will also be food, music, activities, and plenty of inspiration throughout the night. For more information visit the UGA Relay for Life Facebook page.